CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Happy Winter Solstice Festival.

Today is Winter Solstice Festival a.k.a. Dongzhi Festival. I'm not home which means I don't get to eat Tangyuan... T.T

It's one of my favourite Chinese celebration though it's just a mere mean of getting together and make Tangyuan together. Ah...the homey feel.

Well, we normally make tangyuan in many colours, namely white, yellow, red, orange, pink, green and blue. Sometimes we mixed the colours together to make colourful balls. And I still remember last year sis and I make some cute bunnies out of the flour mixture. :D

Our tangyuan are plain ones, without any fillings. Some people prefer their tangyuan with fillings such as peanuts and red bean paste.

Well, these are some of last year photos.

My sis making Tangyuan.


The colourful Tangyuans.


One of the trays of uncooked Tangyuan.


Tangyuan cooking in the wok.


Tangyuan!


My sis's pink rabbit.


My orange rabbit, which after cooked became cat/devil.

My family was eager in eating the tangyuan once we finish making them. As you can see, some of the colouring my mum use are food colouring bought from shops while some are extracts from plants. For example, green colouring is extracted from pandan leaves and blue colouring is extracted from dried morning glory flower. We make the sugar syrup with pandan leaves as well. It gives a sweet aroma. Yum.

I'm looking forward to this Friday as it'll be bro's birthday and Christmas! :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha.... my rabbit there leh... bro's b'day oh... how bout de cake leh??? hmm...